Texas Health Steps checkups and Well-child exams, also known as wellness checkups, are the best way to help your child stay healthy as they grow. Medicaid members get Texas Health Steps checkups from birth through 20 years of age. CHIP Members get well-child exams from birth through 18 years of age.
Based on your child's age, a wellness checkup may include:
- Health and developmental history
- Height/weight/BMI/blood pressure measurements
- Hearing tests and hearing aids
- Eye tests and eyeglasses
- Developmental and behavioral screenings
- Dental care
- Physical examination
- Lab tests
A recommended immunization schedule for children from birth through 18 years of age is available here.
- Anticipatory guidance/health education
- Treatment for other medical conditions
- 2018-2019 Texas State vaccine requirements for students grades kindergarten
There is no cost to you if you have Medicaid or CHIP.
- Medicaid or CHIP ID card
- A list of all medications that your child is taking
- Current immunization records
- A list of questions that you want to ask the primary care provider
Get the first checkup within 90 days of enrollment with Community. It helps us understand your healthcare needs early. You can also get to know your child's doctor, and your child's doctor can get to know you.
Wellness Checkup Schedule
|Get the first checkup within 5 days after being born. After that, get the rest within 60 days after each checkup age below.|
|2 weeks||12 months|
|2 months||15 months|
|4 months||18 months|
|6 months||24 months|
|9 months||30 months|
|*Children 3 years and older need checkup once a year, on or after each birthday.|
Medicaid Members get wellness checkups until they turn 21 years old.
CHIP Members get wellness checkups until they turn 19 years old.
Call your doctor and schedule an appointment. You can also call Member Services at 1.888.760.2600 and we can help you schedule.
If you are enrolled or going to enroll in a Head Start program, you may need a checkup within 45 days after enrolling. It is a requirement for Head Start. Please check with your Head Start program.
Texas Health Steps Dental Services
Your child should get regular dental checkups to make sure their teeth and gums are healthy. Dental checkups can begin at age six months and should occur every six months after that. You must choose a Main Dentist to provide your Texas Health Step services through your dental plan. If you need assistance locating a dentist, contact your dental plan:
- DentaQuest: 1.800.516.0165
- MCNA Dental: 1.800.494.6262
CHIP Members: Call Community Member Services for help. Call toll-free at 1.888.760.2600., Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If you and your child can’t get to the doctor or dentist, Medicaid can help you.
- Children with Medicaid and their parent or guardian can get rides at no cost or gas money to help get to and from the doctor, dentist, hospital or drug store.
- Some adults with Medicaid can get rides at no cost, too.
How to use your Medicaid ride benefits?
Call at least 48 hours before your appointment (the sooner the better). If you call less than 48 hours before your appointment and it’s not urgent, you might have to reschedule your appointment in order to secure a ride.
Ride Reservations/Cancellations: 1.855.687.4786, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Where’s My Ride (if your ride doesn’t show up): 1.888.513.0706.
When you call, please be ready to provide:
- Your name, home address, and phone number
- Medicaid ID number
- The date of your healthcare appointment
- The name, address and phone number of the doctor you are going to see
- The medical reason for your appointment
- The type of service (doctor, dentist, etc.)
- If you need to fill a prescription, it must be done at the on-site pharmacy. If that is not available, you will need to use the closest pharmacy along the trip route.