Enroll in CHIP, CHIP-P or STAR Medicaid
Ready to Apply for CHIP, CHIP-P or STAR Medicaid? It’s good to know that CHIP and Medicaid both use the same application. Applying for CHIP, CHIP-P or STAR Medicaid is easy.
Things You Will Need:
- Proof of identity - This could include Social Security numbers for children applying for coverage
- Proof of citizenship or immigration status - U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization
- Proof of money your family gets (income) - Includes paycheck stubs, proof of self-employment income, child support check stub
- Proof of what you pay to take care of others (expenses) - Includes receipts or cancelled checks from the person you pay for child or adult care, child support or alimony
Sign Up Today
Click below to enroll online at www.YourTexasBenefits.com
We can also answer any questions you have along the way, such as who can qualify or how to fill out your application. Just call us at 1.888.760.2600.
Step 1: Fill Out an Application
There are three ways to apply. Choose the way that works best for you!
- You can fill out the form at your own pace. Visit www.yourtexasbenefits.com.
- If you have questions, call us for help toll-free at 1.888.760.2600.
Apply by phone
- Call 2-1-1. When you call, pick a language, and then, press 2.
- A Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) representative will start your application over the phone, then mail it to you for you to sign.
- Send your application back to HHSC with the items they need to prove your income and receipts showing what you pay for things like childcare, alimony or care for an adult who has a disability. You can use the pre-paid envelope or fax everything to 1.877.447.2839.
- It can take up to 45 days for HHSC to work on your application. Call 2-1-1 for updates.
Apply by mail or fax
- Get your application form. You can print an application now.
- Send your application back to HHSC with the items they need to prove your income (paycheck stubs) and receipts showing what you pay for things like childcare, child support or care for an adult who has a disability. You can use the pre-paid envelope or fax everything to 1.877.447.2839.
- It can take up to 45 days for HHSC to work on your application. To find out what’s happening with your application, call 2-1-1.
Step 2: Get Approved
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) will tell you if you qualify for CHIP or Medicaid for you or your children. They should contact you within 45 days.
Step 3: Choose a Plan and Doctor
HHSC will send you an enrollment packet in the mail. Choose a health plan and main doctor for your child.
Step 4: Enjoy the Benefits of Community!
As a Community Member, you can choose from a wide network of hospitals and doctors, including Memorial Hermann, Harris Health System, and many others.
Great health care is just the start. Community Members also get lots of extras like:
- Member events
- Transportation assistance
- 24-Hour Nurse Advice line
- Much more