Special Enrollment Period
I missed Open Enrollment. Can I still buy health insurance this year?
Open Enrollment for 2019 Health Insurance Marketplace plans ended on December 15, 2018.
However, if you experience a qualifying life event, you may be eligible for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP).
Common Qualifying Life Events
Common qualifying life events for Health Insurance Marketplace special enrollment include:
- Losing your health coverage through a life event such as divorce, losing your job, losing your Medicaid or CHIP eligibility or expiring COBRA coverage
- Getting married
(Note: At least one spouse must have already had coverage in order for the marriage to trigger a SEP.)
- Having or adopting a child
- Permanently moving to a new city or state with different health insurance plans
(Note: You must have had health insurance before your move in order to qualify for a SEP in your new location.)
- Turning 26 and losing coverage through your parents’ plan
- Having a change in income or household status that changes your eligibility for tax credits or cost-sharing reductions
Special Enrollment Periods for the Health Insurance Marketplace typically last for 60 days after the date of your qualifying event.
It is very important to purchase coverage during your Special Enrollment Period because if you miss the deadline, you will have to wait until the next Open Enrollment Period.
Need Help Getting Insured?
Please fill out the form below to be contacted about our Health Insurance Marketplace plans.